Thursday, May 15, 2008

to know for sure


This morning before breakfast, Brad, I, Olympia and Marilla each swabbed our cheeks in the name of science. To collect DNA. To determine once and for all Olly and Rilla's 'zygosity'. (meaning identical, non-identical, or semi-identical).

The 'semi-identical' twin-ship is a relatively new discovery in the study of 'twin-ships'. It has stirred my curiosity - maybe Olly & Rilla have this particular DNA twin-ship. The doctor's and ultrasound specialists all told us they were non-identical because in utero they each had their own placenta and 'amniotic sac', (bubble thing that babies grow in).

Usually when twins are identical, they share one placenta and sometimes also the one 'sac'. One 'egg' , 'fertilised' by one spermie, then splitting in half.

Non-identical twins - 2 eggs, 2 spermies - happy days.

Semi-identical, type 1. - 1 egg, attacked at the same time by 2 spermies (poor egg ! ) which then splits. (Identical mum DNA, unique dad DNA)

Semi-identical, type 2. - 1 egg - splits , then each half has a date with their own spermie. (Identical mum DNA, unique dad DNA)

Allright!

What do I think ?- I think they really are non-identical (BTW, most twin mums think this of thier twins! ) , but maybe, maybe semi-identical with same mum DNA.

However the Grandparents, school and Kinder teachers etc, insist they have be identical. Well will know in about a fortnight - any one up for a guess ?

having twins - got twins ?- here's a fun web site , www.thinktwins.com.au

2 comments:

Michelle Service said...

I don't know what to guess but I do know one thing they are absolutely CUTE. I would adore twins.

How have you been? We need to get together...in person!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bron. Oh so cute!! My guess ... identical, at least 1/2.
Cheerio Anthea xx